02 April, 2014

Lost My Passport

27 June, 2010


It's been a while since I've updated, so goodness knows we have a lot to catch up on! I don't even know where to begin, honestly.

I'll start with Katie Finneran's Tony acceptance speech. It was the best one of the night, and definitely made me tear up!



Katie Finneran's Tony Acceptance Speech

Here's the part I love:

"Most of all, I want to talk to the kids at home watching. I was a kid and I watched the show and it seemed so far away from me. And I want to tell you that all of us up here on this stage and in this audience, we feel the same way... and with the world being so fast right now, I want to remind you to focus on what you love, because it is the greatest passport, it is the greatest roadmap to an extraordinarily blissful life. Just focus on that one thing. Don't listen to anybody else...and you will run into the right people, the right teachers, the right moments and circumstances and one day you wil meet...a person taht will share that love with you."

I've watched the Tonys almost every year since I was about 10 or 11.  So I was that kid, too, watching all the spectacular Broadway productions showcased at the Tonys and picturing myself being a part of it all.

I still do that...with the Tonys, Oscars, Emmys, Golden Globes, Baftas...need I go on? I think you get the picture. I imagine what I'd wear and what I'd say on the red carpet and my reaction when I win!

I am sad to say I have not yet achieved that "extraordinarily blissful life" that Katie mentioned.  With my Survival Job, trying to maintain a personal life, trying to get a webseries off the ground, trying to do this and that...well, happiness has been hard to come by recently. (Speaking of trying to do things--I had to laugh typing that, because of Bonnie Gillespie's latest blog, No One Wants to See You Try.)

But watching Katie has reminded me of why I'm doing all of this...why I'm still doing it, after all these years of what some people call "failures."

I can't call them failures, though--because I know better. I know exactly what it's taken for me to get where I am today, and just how difficult it was. I know the tears and the struggle and the heartache  and the criticism it took to get me  where I am right now.

I'm still standing.

And I'm still going...and damn it, I'll get what I want.

Now, must spend some time finding My Passport.

Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment