02 April, 2014

Oscar Frenzy!

21 February, 2009


It's everyone's favourite time of year!!!!!! Okay, maybe just my favourite time of year.
399-osc_3


oscar2

Awards Season!!!

This is my Super Bowl, baby. This is my...ummm...my Oscars. :p

Tomorrow we'll have our annual party

...this year's dinner comes from the Best Picture nominees, as always!

The Curious Case of Beer

Milk

The Reader's Brats

Slumdog Curry

and Frosty/Nixon.

We'll also be having Heath crumble cookies. (I'm trying not to call them Heath Crumbles, because that's...kind of sad. ) Kris will be making a Two-Face Cake in protest of The Dark Knight not being nominated for Best Pic, and we'll also be having La Maison en Petite Quiche.

Definitely comfort food! There's not even a vegetable! Shame on me for forgetting that. Eek. Ah, well. It's the Oscars. Add some champagne into the mix, and it's a glorious night all around! Plus we'll be in our pajamas...sooooooo comfy while I drool over Rob Pattinson presenting. (I'm pretty sure he will be, anyway. It's all a huge secret!)
edwardoscar

Speaking of secrets, I'm pretty excited for this year's Oscars. It's going to be completely different from past shows. I think Hugh Jackman will make a great host--you know some song and dance will be involved, so: yay! I've already decided one year I'm going to perform with him for the Tonys or the Oscars. Yet another goal. I only have 3000 goals to meet before I die. Not a big deal. One of these days I'll have to blog about them. :)

Some of the presenters won't be on the red carpet--at all, adding to the element of surprise and mystique (and ratings?) the new producers are going for. But what I'm most looking forward to is this "structure" everyone's whispering about. The awards are supposed to be given out with some sort of structure to the evening, like a story, in a way. Whaaa...? I don't know what it's about, but I like it already!

I'm a little peeved that they're doing a medley of the nominated songs, instead of featuring the full song. Thank goodness they didn't do that last year, when "Falling Slowly" won. I'd been talking about that movie for ages, but it took the performance on the Oscars to get a lot of people to see it.

I heard Peter Gabriel's not a happy camper. And won't be performing. He can pout in his corner all he wants--he's not ruining my Oscar Night!

As usual, I've waited till the last minute to really do my research. Ugh. There are a couple categories that I just cannot decide. (I'm looking at you, Actor and Supporting Actress! Damn the lot of you!)

Anyway...as I do every year, here is my list of who I think will (and/or should) win, major categories only. You'll have to wait till Monday to find out how many I got right in all the categories!

BEST PICTURE

Will win: Slumdog Millionaire

Should win: Milk

Slumdog was a great movie, don't get me wrong. I loved it! But I'm not sure it deserves all the hype it's getting. Still, it's a good movie and I won't be displeased when it wins. :) "It is written."

BEST ACTOR

Ugh. Ugh, ugh, ugh.

Will win: Beats the heck outta me! Sean Penn or Mickey Rourke. I haven't seen The Wrestler, but domestic audiences seem to love Mickey...which bodes well for an Oscar win. All the foreign awards went to Penn...but most people are saying Mickey Rourke will walk away with it. I'm still trying to decide!

BEST ACTRESS

Will win: Kate Winslet, my BFF

Should win: Kate, Meryl, or Melissa.

I haven't seen Revolutionary Road yet, but I understand that's Kate's strongest performance. She really should have been nominated for a supporting actress for The Reader, but...*sigh* She wasn't, so...here we are. Meryl and Kate. Meryl and Kate. I think Kate will finally, finally get her Oscar this year. But...Meryl Streep.....hmmm...
oscarmelissa

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Will win: Heath Ledger

Should win: Heath Ledger.

I think the NY Times said it best: "An indelible performance and an untimely death."

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Will win: Uhhh...

Should win: Uhhh...Viola Davis.

For me, it's between Viola and Penelope. But people are saying Amy Adams could be the upset here, with so many votes being split between the other two. And this category is a "who the heck knows" every year. (See last year: Tilda Swinton.) I'll decide...sometime before 11 PM tomorrow night! (I may have to pause it before they announce, like we did last year!)

BEST DIRECTOR

Will win: Danny Boyle

Should win: Danny Boyle or Gus Van Sant

For other categories, I'm going with Man on Wire for Best Docu. Having a hard time deciding between The Class and Waltz with Bashir for foreign-language.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. :)

Oh, and just so you know: my first Oscar will be for Daisy Buchanan in Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby. I'm going to make a name for myself before casting goes underway, and I am putting myself on Baz's radar. I am Daisy. And that Oscar will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.

Baz Luhrmann + The Great Gatsby = Holy cow! A dream movie for me!!!!!! MUST. BE. IN. IT.

Start the good juju now. I'll need more than ever before!
oscars_ceremony_posters_81

No comments:

Post a Comment